golden wheat pizza dough (recipe follows)
green pea pesto (recipe follows)
1. preheat the oven or toaster oven as hot as it will go (550 degrees)
2. roll 1/4 of the pizza doing into a small ball. flatten the ball into a disk.
3. stretch it from the center, or roll it out with a rolling pin until its 1/4 inch thick
4. spread on a thin layer of the artichoke pesto
5. tear the petals off the artichoke hearts and cover the pizza with a single layer. its ok if they overlap a bit.
6. bake for 5 minutes, but check on it. it might need more or less time. it’s done when the crust is browned a bit.
green pea pesto
1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1/2 cup almond meal, ground almonds, or almonds
2 cloves garlic
juice of 1/2 small lemon (about 1 TBSP)
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 TBSP olive oil
1. put everything in a food processor and blend until it forms a thick paste (don’t have a food processor? put the almonds in the blender and grind into a sandy-looking powder, then add everything else and blend).
golden wheat pizza dough
1 1/4 oz package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (feels like a hot bath, 110 degrees)
1 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour, plus more for kneading
1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for the bowl
1/2 tsp salt
1. mix the warm water, sugar, and yeast. let it sit in a warm place for 10 minutes until it starts foaming on top.
2. mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. add the oil.
3. add the foaming yeast mixture to the flour. stir until a sticky dough forms.
4. sprinkle the dough with flour, fold it in half, then turn it a quarter turn. repeat. keep doing this for 10 minutes or so, until the dough holds it shape
5. put the dough in a larger bowl. add a few teaspoons of olive oil, cover the dough and the inside of the bowl with a thin coat of oil
6. let it sit in a warm place for an hour, until it doubles in size